As promised crew, here is the second tarot post of the day 🙂 We continue to explore the deeper meaning of the Major Arcana, by tackling a universal duality, two powerful and enduring collective archetypes: the forces of good and evil as they are represented in tarot by the Temperance and the Devil cards. The energies of these two cards are oppositional, but they also speak about the profound duality of our mind, emotions and actions which can be reconciled with effort and perseverance. So have a look below at the compilation of the notes I made while studying the booklets of my 13 tarot decks, and see what new insights you might uncover about these two cards.
Temperance (linked to Sagittarius)
- Represents protection, healing and divine assistance. If the query is about work this shows integration, synthesis and synergy in the process of creation; by bringing two opposing forces together, something new can be created.
- Temperance is similar to Justice in its vibe: shows a reconciliation of paradoxes and conflicts, so adopt a calm approach to life by avoiding extremes. The Angel keeps one foot in the water (our emotions) and one foot on land (our actions), the vessels it holds are of a different design yet the mixture created is harmonious.
- Marks a period of stillness and veneration, patience and adjustment. This is a good sign and shows a positive influence in your life. Blend the earthly with the spiritual within you, the conscious with the unconscious. No darkness can exist without light, no life without nourishment, no soul without compassion.
- Whenever there is desire, there is also a need for balance and moderation. This card is about self-restraint and compromise, it for everyone’s benefit to find the middle ground in this relationship (if the spread is about love).
- To move what is unmovable and shake what is unshakeable; evaluate the situation well to reach a mutually-pleasing balance. Be as adaptable as you and let things slide off you to achieve a better outcome in your present circumstances.
It is only in light that we see our shadows.Matshona Dhliwayo
The Devil (linked to Capricorn)
- This card is about fear, temptation, over-indulgence and vices. It shows you might have lost sight of the path. In a more positive light this is actually about a boiling point of creativity and passion. The Devil represents will, audacity and charisma. Could also represent arrogance, possessiveness and dependency in relationships. The suffocating ties of obsessive love and mental agony, refusing to let go and to forgive.
- Don’t give in to flattery and evaluate the dangers surrounding you, so you can liberate yourself; follow the guidance of your inner fire and release bonds (they are mostly in your mind). Sexual pleasure derived from pain; the drama of love. Extreme sensuality, a focus on bodily pleasures and anxiety.
- Remember that the Devil was once a beautiful angel, a light-bringer and close to God; yet this Angel chose the darkness and fell from grace, so Lucifer now roams the Earth binding souls to his sorrow – if only It realized that anything can be mended with an apology or a sense of atonement.
- Know that the mindless pursuit of pleasure and power can lead you down a dark path, but if you face the unknown you can re-emerge into the light. Don’t be a slave to your fatal instincts, and might even show that nothing good can come out of this situation.
- When this card shows up in a deck this is also about black magic and bad outside influence or advice. We cannot find complete freedom without examining the dark sides first. Usually depicts Pan, the Goat-God. Confront your inner demons, fears, obsessions and drama. At its best, The Devil is about powerful insight into your own darkness.
Inner darkness, which we call ignorance, is the root of suffering. The more inner light there is, the more darkness will diminish. This is the only way to achieve salvation or nirvana.The Dalai Lama
In your own divination practice, you can adapt the meanings of these two cards according to the theme of the spreads used. These cards will give you different insights according to whether you are doing a career, love or spiritual development reading. Reversed cards are to me just blocked energy, so feel free to use your divination abilities to energetically unblock these two cards. As you unlock these two Major Arcanas, simply feel the power and deep inner knowledge that is available to you. Enjoy!
With universal love,
If you enjoy the free content of this blog, please consider supporting me on https://ko-fi.com/thespiritualsocial